New England Foundation for the Arts (NEFA)
NEFA is a regional arts organization that provides grant funding to the performing arts through the following programs:
- New England States Touring (NEST): provides support to nonprofits for performances, readings, and related community activities by artists eligible for New England States Touring. All NEST-Eligible artists are listed on MatchBook.org.
- Expeditions: funds multidisciplinary performing, literary, and/or visual arts projects that are open and accessible to the general public, and that provide opportunities for arts experiences in disadvantaged, isolated, or remote communities. Expeditions offers two types of support: Planning Grants and Touring Grants, and operates on an annual funding cycle.
- National Dance Project: provides a system of support for the living, growing discipline of contemporary dance, by supporting the production and distribution of dance in the United States.
- Native Arts @ NEFA: supports Native American artists in New England and nationally through grantmaking and network development.
Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism
Through its grant programs, the commission's Arts division invests in Connecticut artists and arts organizations and encourages the public's participation as creators, learners, supporters and audience members.
- Connecticut Arts Endowment Fund assists in the long-term stabilization of the state's non-profit arts industry.
- Organizational Support Program provides general operating and program support to CT art organizations and program support for non-arts organizations for specific activities.
- Arts Presentation Grants provide funding for organizations and educational institutions that present events featuring members of the Commission's Directory of Performing and Teaching Artists.
- Artist Fellowships are grants to support the artistic development of Connecticut artists.
Maine Arts Commission
The Maine Arts Commission supports the arts in Maine primarily through artists working at the local level in a community context.
- Artists in Maine Communities assists arts organizations, schools and other community groups to develop collaborative projects that employ Maine artists to benefit Maine communities, schools or families.
- Traditional Arts Apprenticeships provide an opportunity for master traditional artists to pass on their skills to qualified apprentices.
- Arts in Education The Maine Arts Commission supports all efforts to promote learning in the arts and through the arts.
Massachusetts Cultural Council
The Massachusetts Cultural Council is committed to building a central place for the arts, sciences and humanities in the everyday lives of communities across the Commonwealth.
- Artist Fellowships provide support to artists in recognition of exceptional work.
- Big Yellow School Bus provides grants to help schools meet the transportation costs of educational field trips to cultural institutions and events.
- Cultural Investment Portfolio provides unrestricted funding for nonprofit arts, humanities, and interpretive science organizations in Massachusetts.
- Local Cultural Council Program - Local Cultural Councils serving every city and town in Massachusetts offer grants to projects benefiting their community.
- STARS Residencies provide grants of $500-$5,000 to schools to support creative learning residencies of three days or more in the arts, sciences, and humanities.
- YouthReach supports multi-year grants for partnerships that provide substantive arts activities for young people "at-risk."
New Hampshire State Council on the Arts
Designed to insure that the role of the arts in the life of our communities will continue to grow and play an ever more significant part in the welfare and educational experience of our citizens.
- Organizational Support Grants help New Hampshire arts organizations and cultural facilities advance in their work, strengthens the arts infrastructure throughout the state, and provide a vibrant cultural environment for its citizens.
- Community Arts Program helps improve the quality of life in communities through participation in the arts.
- Artist Residencies in Schools help tap the resources that professional artists bring to the educational process. These grants pay part of artist fees for three- to sixty-day, single or collaborative artist residencies.
- Artist Entrepreneurial Grants provide individual artists who live and work in New Hampshire with opportunities that will increase their artistic and entrepreneurial capacity to develop and market their work.
- Traditional Arts Program works to identify, document, preserve, and promote traditional arts in New Hampshire so they continue to be a vital part of our living cultural heritage.
Rhode Island State Council on the Arts
The Rhode Island State Council on the Arts serves as a catalyst for the advancement, appreciation and promotion of excellence in the arts, by encouraging leadership, participation, and education in the arts for all Rhode Islanders.
Vermont Arts Council
The Council is committed to promoting the development and excellence of the arts in Vermont through advocacy, funding, and technical assistance to artists and organizations.
- Grants for Artists are primarily for individual artists, but open to artist groups and/or organizations who wish to commission the work of Vermont artists.
- Grants for Organizations are primarily for not-for-profit organizations, but open to artists and schools.
- Grants for Schools/Education are primarily for educational institutions, but not-for-profit arts organizations or artists may propose projects that are educationally based and therefore appropriate to this category.
National Endowment for the Arts
The National Endowment for the Arts is the largest annual funder of the arts in the United States and is the official arts organization of the United States government. The Arts Endowment awards grants to nonprofit organizations in these areas: Access to Artistic Excellence, Learning in the Arts, Challenge America, and Partnership Agreements.
The Foundation Center
The Foundation Center website provides online tutorials that take you through the funding research process step by step, as well as online databases including a directory of foundations and a directory of foundation grants to individuals.
NYFA Source is a free national directory of grants, awards, services, and publications for artists.
Associated Grantmakers (AGM)
AGM offers grant seekers educational programs, access to online resources and the AGM Grant Makers Directory, and the Resource Center for Philanthropy. AGM is a regional association of grant makers, both foundations and corporations, making grants in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
The Chronicle of Philanthropy
The Chronicle of Philanthropy is a leading news source for the nonprofit sector. Both the print and online publications offer detailed grant listings among other resources.